Sunday, July 17, 2011

wardrobe malfunction...

I've been running in Brooks socks for years. When I switched from basic cotton to the fitted, sized, and foot-specific Brooks socks, it changed my life. Or at least the life of my feet. No more blisters. No more hotspots. Just happy feet. I had been using the same socks for years.

Now that I work for Brooks, I had the opportunity to try our new socks -- all THIRTEEN kinds. Heck, I'm still working my way through the box. Some were basic, some were super fancy. But all were fresh, new socks.

I think I got a little spoiled -- fresh socks before every run? Wow! I remember my boss saying how nice new socks were, and I didn't really believe her. I was, however, enjoying the new socks -- deciding which ones I liked the best, making notes for a future blog post, etc.

But I hadn't run long in them -- and I'm pretty keen on sticking to the "nothing new on race day" commandment. So I put on my trusty old socks. Socks which have gotten me through hundreds of miles without blisters. Ever.

Until today.

Within 5 miles my sock had slid down in my shoe. I didn't notice it at first, but by mile 10 I knew I had at least a hot spot, if not a blister. Discretion being the better part of valor, I decided to walk miles 11 and 12 today. I will retire my beloved "R2-D2 socks", embrace my new, fresh, cushy socks. And all will be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment